When shopping for a storage building, the type of siding is one of the first decisions to be made. I will outline the advantages and considerations of three popular siding options below.
The Benefits of Vinyl Siding:
- Easy to clean, just pressure wash and vinyl looks like new.
- Maintenance free, you will never have to paint vinyl siding.
- Many colors available to match the vinyl on your home.
- No cracking or splitting.
- Uniform appearance.
- Smooth material, vinyl siding will never give you splinters.
- Longevity, vinyl stands up to long term exposure to moisture.
- Standard with metal trim and steel doors.
Sold! Right? Well, there are two sides to every coin…
- More expensive than Duratemp siding sheds
- Cracks if hit with hard objects…like base balls, lawn mowers, etc
- Fades over time if placed in direct sun.
- Not as many color choices
- Will hold mold and fungus in damp areas.
Benefits to Duratemp Composite Wood Siding
- 25 year warranty against mold, rot, and cracks
- More color choices
- Easy to change color by repainting building
- Custom color matching available
- Easy to attach decorations, hose reels, window boxes, etc.
The flip side of the Duratemp coin…
- May need to be repainted in 10 to 15 years.
- Looks like T1-11 which was popular years ago but did not perform as well.
- Country look and feel.
Natural Pine Siding
- Very hard and durable wood
- Beauty of natural wood siding
- Rustic look easily achieved.
The flip side of the Natural Pine coin . . .
- Must be stained every year to maintain color
- Will turn grey if not stained every year.
- Rough surface & will cause splinters
- Difficult to stain and paint.
I hope this information helps as you shop for storage buildings. Please feel free to commit on this post with your own experience with these siding options.